Monday, February 18, 2013

Process Post! Springtime Applique Quilt

I am teaching a class on fusible machine applique. I decided on a Spring time theme but wasn't sure what to do, exactly. But I finally decided...Here is the fabric I chose for my quilt (isn't it DELIGHTFUL!??!):
 
 
I had decided on some flowers and butterflies and REALLY wanted a watering can...the girls in my classes liked the umbrella on my applique quilt from last year...so I threw that in too...but it needed a centerpoint...so I finally decided on the birdhouse..
I began with a 29x29 inch square for the main center of the quilt.
applied the heat N bond and started tracing
 
i LOVE this lil watering can!
Isn't the umbrella adorable?!!?
all my pieces!!
this was my original layout...but I wasn't thrilled with the butterflies and flowers.
So I decided on this placement. LOVE it!
I added a 2 1/2" border of the aqua print
And a 1 1/2" pink border
and then a final 2 1/4" border of the purple
I decided on the aqua print for the binding.
 Now to stitch the applique pieces down...I was going to do that as my quilting but I am now thinking I will stitch the applique down, just on the quilt top and do some echoing for the quilting...thoughts?

**While working on this quilt I came out to get a glass of water and found this extreme cuteness! I HAD to snap a pic and share it!


No comments: