Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fur on a bumblebee

Kyle and I had our eye exams on Monday. Mine was as it normally is. Kyle's however, was a little bit of a shock. The original reason I scheduled our exams was b/c Kyle described the board as being "blurry". I thought to myself... hmmm... and scheduled our eye exams right away.
Low and behold, Kyle is VERY near-sighted. He has to get glasses and wear them all the time...we even ordered prescription sun/sport glasses in addition to his regular ones. To give you an idea of what his vision is like....my prescription is -0.25 in both eyes. Kyle is a -1.50 in his right eye and a -3.50 in his left!!!! This is a strong prescription. They did dialate (sp) his eyes and thankfully health-wise his eyes are fine....he is just extremely near-sighted. My question was --how could I not have any prior indication that he had such a vision problem. They said he has never had anything to compare his vision to....so...to him, it was just the way things look.
He picked out his glasses and they should be in sometime in the next 10 days. I am hoping so desperately that they come in before Wednesday. Wednesday we are going to the Florida Aquarium in Tampa on a field trip.

So....the title of my blog is the fur on a bumblee b/c my child has probably never seen it, or the many other things in nature that Ronnie and I are constantly pointing out to him. A whole new world is going to open up right before his eyes when he REALLY sees for the first time clearly.


Love to all!

1 comment:

Becca said...

I probably needed glasses for years, but didn't realize it until I was in my 20's. It wasn't a strong prescription, but I couldn't believe how everything suddenly had a sharp defined edge to it. I never knew I should be able to read the license plate on the car in front of me. =)